The Kentucky Derby is the best time to back your horse with a legal bet! Most places across the United States offer the ability to bet on horse racing.
Below, TwinSpires lists picks from our resident experts, notable influencers, and a few celebrities. Additionally, we will be adding suggested bets as they arrive. Click the bet button with the bet slip under the names and opinions that resonate best with you!
Check throughout the day for more choices as the day progresses!
Be sure to check out the full Kentucky Derby betting guide here at TwinSpires.com! He provides many choices here in an easy to read format as well as additional information that any handicapper will love.
At a Glance 2022 Kentucky Derby Pick
Drawing on all of our coverage from the past week and decades of disability experience, our experts gather for their quick picks below.
Having improved with every mission on the road to the Kentucky Derby, Mucciolo’s first choice is No. 3 Epicenter. You can read his full analysis here: Tipsheet: Kentucky Derby 2022
- Win $50 and place Epicenter #3
- $15 exacta 3, 5 with 3, 5, 6, 10
- Trifecta 50 cents 3, 5 with 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10 with everything
Moving on to a few more Derby Exotics picks, Mucciolo adds No. 5 Smile Happy and No. 6 Messier.
- $10 box exact 3, 5, 6 ($60)
- $2 Trifecta 3,5,6 w/3,5,6 w/1,3,5,6,9,10,19 ($60)
- $1 superfecta 3 with 5.6 with 1,5,6,9,10,19 with 1,5,6,9,10,19 ($40)
- 1$ superfecta 5,6 with 3 with 1,5,6,9,10,19 with 1,5,6,9,10,19 ($40)
If you want to stick with Morning Line favorite #10 Zandon, his money-making picks can be found below. Check out the full analysis here: How to Make Money With Zandon in the Kentucky Derby
- Trifecta 50 cents 10 with 3,5,6,19 with everything ($36)
- Trifecta 50 cents 10 with everything with 3,5,6,19 ($36)
- Trifecta 50 cents 3,5,6,19 with 10 with everything ($36)
J. Keeler Johnson
Providing varied choices to different budgets, Keeler favors No. 1 Mo Donegal and No. 6 Messier. Find his full article here: Betting the Kentucky Derby 2022 on different budgets
Budget of $40
- $12 to be won on #1MB Donegal
- $12 to be won on #6 Messier
- Exacta at $2: 1.6 with 1,3,6,10,12 ($16)
Budget of $80
- $20 to be won on #1MB Donegal
- $20 to be won on #6 Messier
- $1 Trifecta: 1.6 with 1,3,6,10,12 with 1,3,6,7,10,12,13 ($40)
Budget of $120
- $24 to be won on #1MB Donegal
- $24 to be won on #6 Messier
- $1 Superfecta: 1.6 with 1.6 with 3,10,12 with 3,7,10,12,13 ($24)
- $1 Superfecta: 1.6 with 3,10,12 with 1.6 with 3,7,10,12,13 ($24)
- $1 Superfecta: 1.6 with 3,10,12 with 3,7,10,12,13 with 1.6 ($24)
Hanson is staying with No. 1 Mo Donegal, despite the rail drawing, and will also use No. 10 Zandon for his Pick 4 which ends in the Kentucky Derby. Check out the rest of his picks here: Hanson: Kentucky Derby Day Betting Strategy
- $1 Choose 4 over 2,9,11 with 1 with 4.8 with 1.10 = $12.
Do you plan to go far? Hanson’s pick is #8 Charge It. “While it’s far from the finished article, and therefore will need a lot of luck to win, Charge It has plenty of tools to become a serious racehorse, perhaps as early as Saturday. “
Ashley prefers Mo Donegal but will also incorporate Smile Happy and Zandon into her choice to fashion an exacta.
- $2 Exacta Box on 1, 5, 10 ($12)
On Alastair’s pick: “I always come back to a horse that showed it all: #3 Epicenter.” Find his full analysis here: Kentucky Derby bets with an epicenter
- $20 Win/$20 Show: 3 Epicenter ($40)
- 50 cent trifecta: 3.12 w/ 1,3,5,7,10,12,14 w/ 1,3,5,7,10,12,14 ($30)
Sara Dacus (@saradacus)
Sara closely followed the Arkansas Road to the Kentucky Derby Trail and here are her thoughts:
“Oaklawn Park is my home track, so I naturally look for suitors who take the Arkansas route to the Kentucky Derby. I attempted to handicap this year’s Kentucky Derby without bias, and I still believe that Cyberknife , winner of the Arkansas Derby (G1), could wear the roses on Saturday.
“At 20-1 odds, he offers an opportunity for a fine score. The versatile chestnut colt also has victories at the host Kentucky Derby track and at Fair Grounds. The only blemish on his resume came in the Lecomte S (G3), where Cyberknife was sired by Gun Runner, the 2017 Horse of the Year, whose offspring broke outright winning records for a first generation sire, so his pedigree is top notch.
“Cyberknife is packaged by Louisville-born Brad Cox, winner of the last two Eclipse Awards as Coach of the Year. He also dispatched Mandaloun, who was named the winner of the 2021 Derby in February after Medina Spirit was disqualified. Cox grew up two blocks from Churchill on Evelyn Avenue, and I’d love to see him experience the thrill of the Derby winner’s circle.
“Cyberknife will be ridden by Florent Geroux, who was Gun Runner and Mandaloun’s jockey. arrived in Louisville to support ‘FloJo’ in the Derby.
“My second pick is the second pick on the morning line, Epicenter. He completed a near sweep of Louisiana’s four prep races (he lost the Lecomte by a header), winning all three scores in the light He is trained by Hall of Famer Steve Asmussen, North America’s all-time winningest Thoroughbred trainer.Despite his unparalleled success, Asmussen has yet to win the Kentucky Derby. His horses have twice finished second.
“To complete the trifecta, I select Messier. The winner of multiple graduated stakes has finished in the top two in each of his six starts. He won the Robert B. Lewis S. (G3) by an astounding 15 lengths. Although the field was small, it gained numbers at high speed, and West Coast horses have traditionally performed well in the Kentucky Derby Messier, whose size is impressive, was recently transferred from Bob Baffert’s barn to the coach Tim Yakteen.